Phentermine – One of the most commonly used weight loss drug
One thing everyone is concerned and conscious about is their weight with several people going under the knife for weight loss is something everyone does but some people opt to take pills. One such weight loss drug is Phentermine which does all the tricks to lose your body fat prove a number of studies.
Drugs have a way of working in our body which changes certain things and makes you get the results you want and a number of studies have shown that it is designed to work in a few ways to reduce weight.
Phentermine as a drug
Phentermine a weight loss drug is determined as one of the most effective drugs and must be taken under the guidance of a physician. It is known by various brand names like Adipex, Fastin, and Teramine and is an anorexiant which stimulates the nervous system. This drug contains phentermine and topiramate and has an effect on the endocrine system.
How does it work?
Drugs work in a certain way and so does the weight loss drug Phentermine and it works in the following ways.
- Change in metabolism rate- This drug works by increasing the metabolism rate and by stimulating it, thereby causing to increase energy expenditure.
- Reduces appetite- One of the most prominent ways of reducing weight is by eating less and this drug does just that trick and reduces your appetite. It makes you reduce your food intake and thereby reducing the calories intake.
- It also prevents the nutrients from absorbing in the cells which will lack the nutrient supply and causes weight reduction.
- It also alters the fat to fatty acids which lead to lipogenesis.
Every drug has its drawbacks and so does Phentermine without proper monitoring of the usage of the drug might lead to addiction and which can harm your organs. Some of the side effects might occur in different people and can have a different impact. Some of the side effects we see are given below.
- Increases blood pressure
- Might damage blood vessels of the brain.
- Can cause nervous system disorders
- Disorders like hallucinations, stroke, confusion and even psychotic behavior.
- If the usage is stopped you might even gain back the weight.
Some of the less severe side effects are –
- Dry mouth
- Unpleasant taste in the mouth
So before you think of using drugs as a way to reduce weight it is important to keep in mind the side effects which can be very harmful at times and is important to keep your dosage in check.
Dosage of the drug
Use of every kind of drug has its limitation and must not be used in excess every drug that is over-consumed leads to fatality and so does this drug. Dosage depends on the recommendation of the doctor as per the requirements of how much weight you want to lose. It is advised to use this drug only for a short while and incorporate doing exercise when you take this drug. Taking the drug for beyond 12 weeks can prove fatal if not administered properly.
Summing it up
Drugs can be harmful and can have advantages but too much of anything can cause you harm and addiction and hence it is advised that one should consult a bariatric specialist before taking any such weight loss drug.