When you become the noncustodial parent of your children following a divorce, you will need to make payments to your former spouse. The court views that individual as the custodial parent and requires that you pay child support to help your children. Child support payments should go towards the living expenses of your children. Your former spouse can use the money to pay for school expenses, medical bills and even new clothes for your kids. The order the court issues during your divorce can change though. There are some situations where you can request a modification of that order.

Image result for Three Reasons You Can Request a Modification of Your Child Support Order

Spouse’s Income Rises

One reason you can request a modification is because your former spouse’s income rose. Some noncustodial parents think that orders will change when spouses get married again. That new spouse is not responsible for the care of your children though and will not change your order. If your former spouse gets a brand new job and suddenly makes significantly more than he or she did in the past, you can request a change because that individual afford to cover more of your children’s care.

Your Income Drops

The order issued in your name used the income you made at the time to determine the amount that you paid. Any changes to your income should result in the court adjusting the order. Your income may change because you lost your job and no longer have a way to support yourself or because your employer significantly reduced the hours you work during each pay period. If you decide to go back to college and want to work fewer hours, you can petition the court to adjust your child support order based on the hours you now work.

Change to Custody Status

If you and your former spouse make changes to your custody agreement, you can work with a family law Centennial firm and ask the court to change the child support order. This commonly occurs when one parent decides to let the noncustodial parent keep the children more or when the custodial parent turns over care of the children to the noncustodial parent. The court may void your order completely, require that you former spouse pay you child support or reduce the amount that you owe each month. Working with a lawyer in family court ensures that you get the help needed to modify your order.