Monkfish spiedini with mustard fruits
4 slices Parma ham, halved
8 small sage leaves
2 tbsp. mostarda di Cremona , chopped
350 g. monkfish fillet, skinned, boned and cut into 8 cubes
3 tbsp. olive oil
25 g. unsalted butter
Zest of half lemon
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- Lay out the halved Parma ham slices. In the centre of each, place a sage leaf, a little mustard fruit and, lastly, a cube of monkfish. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Wrap the ham around the fish to form parcels and secure each with a cocktail stick or skewer.
- Heat 2tbsp olive oil in a frying pan. When hot, add the parcels and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden and tender. Remove and keep warm on a serving dish.
- Clean the pan with kitchen paper and return to the heat. Add the butter and heat until it foams up, then add the lemon zest and the vinegar. Let the sauce bubble for 30 seconds.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a pan and fry a handful of sage leaves for about 30 seconds, until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper. Pour the sauce over the fish parcels, scatter over the fried sage leaves and serve immediately.
- Peter Cassidy; Recipes: Paul Gayler